Monday, October 5, 2009

Racism and the Church

I have made Sign of The Dove my “home church” now that I’m living in North Chicago. I knew that moving up to North Chicago would present many learning opportunities for me that I could not have within a classroom at Trinity. One of the best things about living up here has been my new church family at Sign of the Dove. This vibrant community of worshippers is predominately composed of African Americans, but really is a rich multi-ethnic church. Today I attended my second class of an awesome Sunday School elective entitled, “Racism and the Church”. In this discussion-based setting, I had the privilege of listening to and interacting with the thoughts of my diverse brothers and sisters in Christ.

Today the question came up regarding being “color blind”. You know, the people who say regarding race, “I don’t see black, or white, or brown or anything. I am color blind to the differences. We are all the same. We are all one.” When the question was posed, “Is this a bad term to use?” I thought that the response would be a resounding ‘yes’ from the attendees. (Note: I had previously heard this term used by other white mentors and ministry leaders and would always cringe because I wanted to say, “Be real people! We look different! We are different! Don’t lie to yourselves!”) Well, initially, it appeared that my premonition was correct. The first hand that shot up said, “Yes, it is definitely a bad term. We should not deny the obvious and ignore the distinctiveness of each other’s cultures and differences.” That was basically what was said. But then there was a retort from the opposing view that I had never heard before.

Another member of the class offered up the following thoughts (I’m paraphrasing by notes and memory)… “This term is not necessarily bad. Sure we must not diminish our cultural identities, but as we are one in Christ, it (color) should not be the first thing we look to. If spiritual maturity is being preached from the pulpit, the congregation will look in another direction besides race. If race issues and cultural distinctives are preached, then our differences will be more apparent. When focusing on our adoption into God’s family and spiritual maturity within that context we won’t realize race.” This long-standing member of the church went on to share that though they are actually of minority status within the church, it has never been at the forefront of their mind. They shared stories of being welcomed into the ministries and fellowship in the church and how they really did not see a difference in skin color because of focus on spiritual maturity in the body of believers.

What do you think? Is “color blind” a bad term when referring to racial differences? Can it be an accurate depiction of reality?


"Whatever happens, as citizens of heaven live in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together with one accord for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have. Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." -Philippians 1:27-2:4

by Mark Hershey

2 comments:

Akele said...

Thanks for engaging this tumultous and thorny issue that most people dont want to talk about. Or at least most in the American Christian majority. We should definitely keep our identities in Christ first but not use it as an excuse to be lazy or to ignore our history nor our reality which is quite dissunified. I pray that there would be revival that would bring the body of Christ togther in the spirit of unity, that is, authentic, visible unity.

danny said...

I agree, thanks Mark. And Amen Akele!

I think the term colorblind is more unhelpful than helpful. The second position may be better described as Kingdom vision, where every person gathers at the throne. There is a fantastic unity and diversity in Christ. While on earth, we in a sense have one foot in the Kingdom and one foot here, acknowledging both realities and living in light of it, praise the Lord.