Saturday, October 24, 2009

CCDA reflections


My heart is overwhelmed today. I almost tear up as I write. What I have experienced over the past four days at the Christian Community Development Association Conference has been so....good for me.

The conference is overwhelming Christ-centered. It's not a rah-rah group about changing the world, but a humble group finding joy in the Lord through submission to Him and solidarity with one another. In response to the Gospel, we all are seeking to live the call of loving God and loving our neighbor by making and strengthening disciples in Christ. There is tangible love present as people come from very difficult ministries to pray, worship, fellowship, learn about CCD, learn from others, grow in ministry equipping and study the Bible.

Every morning begins with robust worship followed by a Gospel centered, Spirit driven Bible study by John Perkins. We talk about sin, disobedience, grace, forgiveness, reconciliation, the Cross of Christ..."don't let people take the cross away from you," John Perkins says. Everything about CCDA flows from loving God and loving others, guided by the Word of God and His Spirit.

There is fantastic kingdom diversity here. Corporate worship feels like a glimpse of every tribe, nation, tongue and people falling at the throne of God. Small conversations turn into long ones. It seems every person has an incredible story to tell.

To sum, it feels like a family (with 3,000 members). And we care for and encourage one another as some have come from the most challenging areas in the United States.

Soon, some of us will probably write more about the content of the conference...and to be sure, there have been things I have disagreed with, but that's good for me too. I'm thankful for my Trinity friends here and look forward to being home soon.

Please check out CCDA (http://www.ccda.org/) It’s worth it.

Thanks for reading, God bless.

by Danny Hartman

2 comments:

Akele said...

Thats really encouraging, I wish I could have been there. But I will make it to a future one I'm sure.

David said...

I am so glad to hear this, Danny! I like that part about it being a family to you (and to us); we really are not alone in this endeavor.