Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Spacious Heart by Daniel Hartman


In the book A Spacious Heart, Miroslav Volf writes, “embrace stands for reaching out to ‘others’ and finding a place within ourselves as individuals and cultures for ‘others’ while still remaining ourselves. More precisely, embrace stands for ‘a spacious heart.’”

This is the foundation of incarnational ministry. Dr. Cha grounded this concept in Scripture for us on Wednesday when speaking from Philippians 2:1-5. He counseled that we need to learn to enter another person’s world, to embrace others, and to leave familiarity.

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: -Philippians 2:1-5

A spacious heart has room for others’ joy and sorrow. A spacious heart empties itself in service for others. A spacious heart humbly enters the margins. My counseling friends may add “empathy” to the discussion. How do we do this? It is costly. Tim Keller said, “The ministry of mercy is expensive, and our willingness to carry it out is a critical sign of our submission to the lordship of Christ.”

Lord have mercy. I see no way I can love like this, save by the grace working in me. I think about that Keller quote and despair at my shortcomings. But there is something in me that says, “Learn from Christ Jesus’ example and adopt His attitude.” I hear, “Let Me work in and through you.” I remember the mercy shown me and find strength in Him who reconciled me to God. So when He calls us to the ministry of reconciliation, may we, by degrees, learn to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, pouring out our lives in service to our King.

All this to say, where on our campus can we step outside ourselves to understand another? Who is suffering here? Who feels marginalized? Let us embrace others with spacious hearts, knowing that we are called to unity through the Gospel.

4 comments:

Akele said...

Wow, Danny this is a very deep and profound post. It really reaches down into the heart and soul of Christian love, compassion and justice. I found it very spiritual, theological and emotional. I feel like I just need to meditate on it for a while. Thanks for the contribution.

Jeff said...

I'm so glad you wrote this post. So few people are willing to listen to people who say they feel marginalized.

Food for thought: I've heard a few women talk about the pain of hearing insensitive remarks from men at TEDS in class, in the White Horse, etc.

danny said...

Jeff, thank you for that insight. Sometimes we don't even realize how hurtful our comments can be when overheard by others. May the words of our mouths and the meditations of our hearts be acceptable in our Lord's sight.

Thanks again for the comment, it gets me out of my own world and allows me to see others' trials. As our chaplain reminds us, "Be kind, for everyone you meet is facing a great battle." -Philo

Unknown said...

Good comments Jeff and Danny. This week I learned how it's easy to not listen to those marginalized without even knowing it. I had a great chat with Akele and my roommate Brandon about the African American community on campus, and I really felt like my eyes were opened in a new way.

It's so easy to stay in our comfort zones, and in doing so, we can be careless with our words. I'm glad to be here where I can be challenged by the people around me.