Thursday, April 24, 2008

Applying PT 5000 (By Jeff Liou)




*These thoughts are my own and in no way claim to represent Dr. Sell’s views.

Do you remember Dr. Sell’s flowchart? Do you remember which box he (and Frankena) thinks is most important? That’s right, Box C – the profile of what you want to produce. I think that Dr. Sell makes a great case for us to think through what maturity in our organizations ought to look like. I think he’s also right to call out the “bait and switch” in the contemporary church model that fixates on “felt needs” instead of thinking about discipleship.

But, as I sat pondering the importance of Box C, I began to wonder whether students typically think of what kind of person they want to produce or what kind of community we want to produce. Obviously, we don’t have to choose between developing people and communities. But isn’t the Scripture replete with statements about what the people of God ought to be? Individualistically, we can look to vice and virtue lists. Communally, we can look to passages like Matthew 5:14 (city set upon a hill). For the two aspects presented in tension, we can look to Ephesians 4:1-13. It doesn’t seem optional for us to grapple with the profile of the community we want to produce.

And here’s the rub: If the question of ethnic diversity never crosses our mind, it seems to me that we resign ourselves to whatever racial demographic ends up resulting – and let’s face it… that usually means homogeneity. Is that ok? Let me put it another way: If we feel free to leave Isaiah 56:7 (“house of prayer for all nations”) out of Box C do we not miss something that Jesus desires for his Church (Mark 11:17)?

There may be problems that I haven’t seen with putting a communal spin on Box C. And I know that this is more complicated for churches in, say, North Dakota. But I thought I should ask us. I’m eager for your feedback!

3 comments:

danny said...

Great questions Jeff! Thanks for posting.

Very interesting thoughts on Box C, though I admit I’m glad you defined that for me. May I ask what community, ideally, you would like to produce? I have some ideas, but first, some reflection.

Here’s my challenge for producing ideal communities. If we focus too much on what they look like horizontally (that is, on earth), we risk losing the main thing, God. Conversely, to your point, if we focus too much vertically (that is, on heaven), we risk losing out on other important issues. However, the second case isn’t actually true (as much as it may appear so in America) because the more we focus on who God is, the more we see His heart for us and each other, which must lead to critical engagement of issues you mentioned.

Please don’t misread me. It’s similar to social justice issues. This, too, is intrinsic within the Gospel message, but as a natural byproduct or outworking of such grace…am I making a meaningful difference? I guess it really flows out of the goals behind ethnic diversity. Is it because it’s the right thing to do…or is it because it reflects God’s image and heart for all people (which includes the former)? Dr. Cha recently challenged me on something very similar…how does the church’s definition/motivation for diversity differ from secular orgs?

I’ve babbled too long…I look forward to your push-back.

Jeff said...

I guess I'm in the camp that says that there isn't necessarily an "order of operations. That is, cultivating one's relationship with God MAY lead to a concern for racial and social justice. And yet, cultivating a just community can spur us on to deeper relationship with God. Danny, do you perceive an order of operations? Does Dr. Cha?

To your credit, if there is a STATED expectation that going deeper with God ought to impact "body life," as it's called, then you're already half way to putting a communal spin on Box C. Right?

danny said...

I agree with your insight of putting a communal spin on Box C, that we ought to be thinking about the community we as churches produce. And I think it's very worthy of reflection. Thanks for that challenge.

As far as your other question, I’m not sure what Dr. Cha would say. I think that was a slightly different conversation. I think it may look different depending on what community the church is located within. Often the church will first deal with direct issues within the community and its neighbors; however, it still is good to be aware of the many issues facing the body of Christ so that we can collaborate and build unity through diversity (diversity in geography, ethnicity, age, etc). too idealistic?